Who you are is a gift, but that gift is only realized when you give it to others. Yes, that requires vulnerability and courage. Sometimes we give less than we are capable of, because we’re afraid of being judged, looking foolish, or being taken advantage of.
You are already a giver. You give to others in your personal and professional lives in countless ways, but are you giving as much of you as you have to give? Or are you playing it a little safe at times, holding back to protect yourself, or being a little lazy?
Is it possible for you to be more authentically you? to give more of who you really are? to hide less? to be more vulnerable? to connect more? to care more? to be more kind?
- You may give your spouse a gift for his/her birthday, and that’s wonderful. How can you give more? Can you give him/her more respect- maybe by singing their praises to your friends and family?
- You give your children the opportunity to learn soccer, piano, etc, and that’s wonderful. Can you do more? Can you give them more of you- maybe by giving them your undivided attention when you pick them up from school?
- You give your mom a call on Mother’s Day, and that’s wonderful. Can you do more? Can you give her validation– maybe by being vulnerable enough to ask for her advice about a situation?
- You give a donation to your local homeless shelter to provide Thanksgiving dinner, and that’s wonderful. Can you do more? Can you give a homeless man on the corner the dignity of looking him in the eye and smiling?
- You give your job 8 or more hours a day of your life. Can you also give your co-workers inspiration and a sense of purpose?
- Do you have story to write? A painting to paint? A business to start? How can you give your passion and talent to inspire and help others?
I honor you for the giving you already do, and even more so for each brave step you take to give more and put even more YOU into your actions.
Give, because you are already giving, but you have even more to give.