What is Affluenza?
“A painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more” (Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic 2001 John de Graaf, David Wann, and Thomas H. Naylor)
Affluenza occurs when one has a high standard of living but poor quality of life.
Symptoms are varied and can include:
- envy of other people’s homes, cars, clothes, etc.
- dissatisfaction with your material possessions
- desire for more stuff
- running out of room to store your stuff
- a below-the-surface restive irritability
- lack of purpose
- low energy
- a vague sense that there must be something more to life
- a need to stay distracted
- addiction to chaos
- low self-esteem
- inability to delay gratification
- feelings of frustration
Affluenza is cured by focusing on creating a high quality of life. Where acquiring things for ourselves creates a high standard of living, giving to others creates a high quality of life. Giving provides a purpose, makes you important, and gives us all hope. Giving decreases blood pressure, stress and depression symptoms. Giving eases your burdens, makes you more friends, and helps you be grateful for how much you have even if it’s not quite enough. Giving transforms you while it transforms the world.
Give, because it’s a great cure for Affluenza.