The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. Stephen Covey
The main thing is to live a life that makes you feel fulfilled. Fulfillment comes from two things: growing and giving.
To feel fulfilled, we must grow as a person, and there are many ways to do that.
Here are a few ideas.
- Mental Growth: Furthering your education by going back to school, read books, or watch people (not in a creepy, stalker way, but in a learn about human behavior at the airport kind of way).
- Physical Growth: Honing a skill or learning a new skill or running a marathon.
- Emotional: Overcoming a phobia, becoming comfortable dancing in public, learning how to experience hurt without shutting down, or practicing mediation.
Not only must we grow, but we must also give to others and to the world. In order to feel fulfilled, we must feel like we’ve contributed and made a difference.
Here are a few ideas:
- Family and Friends: Going out for a special date night, praising them in public, listening without judging or offering advice, or giving a hug.
- CoWorkers: Celebrating their achievements, mentoring a new employee, collaborating on a joint project.
- Community: Volunteering, picking up litter, voting, babysitting or sharing carpooling duties, or mentoring a young person.
- World: Donating to a charity, advocating for legislative change, or addressing underlying causes of inequality.