On July 4th, America celebrates the day it declared its freedom. It’s the day we said that every human being has the unalienable right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Unfortunately, many people are still denied that right today.
Would you believe that an estimated 27 million people are in slavery today? Slavery? Today?
Yes! Sometimes slavery today doesn’t look any different than the slavery of old- bought and sold, marched to work at gunpoint, forced to work without pay, and unable to walk away. Sometimes acts or threats of violence to themselves or their families cower them into submission.
Sometimes, it looks a little different. Sometimes they are trapped by phony debts or tricked by promises of finding a good job or getting an eduction. Slaves can be found in brothels, factories, mines, farm fields, restaurants, construction sites and private homes.
There is something you can do.
According to Frees the Slaves
- $14 pays for books, uniforms, and satchel so a former slave in Ghana can attend school for a year.
- $92 is the cost to rescue a child slave from the fishing industry in Ghana.
- $94 provides a year of specialized education for a former child slave in India and helps prevent trafficking in their village.
- $132 pays for a raid to free child slaves in India who are then helped to recover and rebuild their lives.
- $172 provides a family in Ghana the means to start a small-scale business. These efforts help prevent children from being re-enslaved in the fishing industry.
Your money gives you freedom: freedom to choose where to live, what to wear, what to eat, where to go to school. You can use it to give someone else the most fundamental and basic freedom: the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.