Step 1: See it as it is
What is the situation, really? Don’t sugar coat it to make yourself feel better. But don’t make it worse than it is either, so that you’re buried in guilt and overwhelm.
- Do you have weight to lose? How much?
- Do you have emotional triggers that make you want to eat, get angry, or act out in other ways? What are those triggers?
- Do you have too much debt? How much?
Step 2: See it better than it is
Now that you know where you stand, imagine your situation better than it is.
- Imagine being your ideal weight and having more energy and better health.
- Imagine feeling peaceful where you used to react.
- Imagine having no debt and feeling financially free.
What will accomplishing your goal do for you? let you achieve? make you feel? make possible?
Step 3: Act
Once you see it better than it is, what can you give to yourself or of yourself to make that happen?
- Join a support group for other people losing weight so you can help others while helping yourself.
- Give yourself time every day to practice compassion exercises.
- Give yourself permission to stop keeping up with the Joneses and declare bankruptcy or sell the cars with the high monthly payment.
Whatever situation you’re in, there are countless different actions you could take. Put on your detective hat and discover what are the right actions for you.
Give, because once you see your situation better than it is, you have to give something to or from yourself that you haven’t given before to make it a reality.