The People With Compassion for Pets Change Gang voted to donate their pooled donations to the Detroit Dog Rescue.
Here’s a brief description of the process these virtual giving circle members use to make informed and impactful donations.
- A member nominates an organization using a nomination form. This form discovers information about the organization’s financial standing, its reputation, and ability to use the funds.
- The nominations are double checked by another member for accuracy.
- Members read through the nomination forms, discuss which organization is the best fit for the group, and then votes.
The whole process only takes a few hours that are spread out across a few months, but the results are powerful: informed donations that make a big impact.
Although other worthy organizations were nominated and considered, the members engaged in thoughtful discussion and chose to support this organization for a few reasons.
1. The scope of the problem is massive. According to DDR, there are 50,000 – 100,000 stray dogs running loose in the streets of Detroit, and only 23 animal care workers to rescue them. Over 90% of dogs picked up in Detroit are euthanized.
2. DDR is a new organization tackling this massive problem, and they need funds to get their movement started.
3. One member interviewed the founder and felt confident about their motivation and skills.
All in all, these virtual giving circle members felt like their pooled donations would make a huge impact on the homeless pets in Detroit, and we felt great about sending our money to the Detroit Dog Rescue.